091 594747
Fahy Travel, 2 Bridge Street, Galway

Our Travel Tips


We recommend everyone, including infants & children, hold a machine readable passport. As per EC Regulation 444/2009, which came into effect on 26 June 2012, children travelling to, from or through all Schengen countries, plus Bulgaria, Cyprus and Romania are no longer permitted to travel on their parents passport and are required to hold their own individual travel documentation.

Your passport is a valuable document. You will often have to produce your passport when registering at hotels or cashing travelers’ cheques. You must carry it when travelling abroad, including on visits to other members states of the European Union, except the U.K. It is advisable however, to bring some form of identification when travelling to the U.K.

Passport application forms are available from all Garda stations and from Post Offices, that provide the "Passport Express" service.

For further information on passports, visit the Department of Foreign Affairs’ Passports Page


Many countries require Irish Citizens to have a visa before they can enter that country on holiday or to work. Please check to see if you require a visa for your destination from the correct embassy. Should you require a visa it is recommended that you apply to the relevant embassy well in advance of travel. It is your responsibility to ensure your visa requirements have been met. Please allow plenty of time to apply for your visa if required. For information about appropriate visas, please visit the Visa First website.

Please note: Everyone (including children & infants) travelling/transiting the U.S. must have a machine readable passport and are required to obtain travel authorization 72 hours in Advance of Travel. For more information visit the U.S Border Control website.

Starting March 15, 2016, visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa.
It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and it will be valid for up to five years or until the passport expires. For more information visit the Canadian Border Control Website 

Sri Lanka Visa
Irish Passport Holders must now apply for a visa prior to arriving in Sri Lanka. It will be valid for 30 days and your passport must be valid for 6 months after return date. For more information and to apply for your visa please visit the Sri Lanka ETA system 

Turkish Holiday Visa As from 10 April 2014, it will no longer be possible for passengers to buy/obtain a visa upon arrival at entry points in Turkey. Instead, passengers should obtain an e-visa (on-line) in advance of their travel.  The e-visa can be obtained online from the following link: www.evisa.gov

New Zealand Visa On August 2019, the Government of New Zealand implemented the NZeTA to facilitate obtaining an authorization to visit the country for Tourism and Transit purposes. The new online process is valid for 2 years and allows multiple entries to New Zealand.
NZeTa will be mandatory to all eligible travelers from October 1st 2019. It can be easily obtained online https://www.newzealandeta.com/application


Prior to travelling abroad for an extended period, you should consider consulting your doctor in order to discuss known or possible health risks. This is particularly important if you are visiting a tropical region or a country where the conditions exist for the spread of infectious diseases. If you take medication on a regular basis you should ask your doctor to prescribe an amount adequate for your visit and bring it with you.

Certain diseases are prevalent in particular world regions. Malaria is present in parts of Africa, Central and South America, Asia and the Pacific. Some diseases or illnesses – e.g. cholera, dysentery, hepatitis A, typhoid, various types of food poisoning – can be contracted from consumption of contaminated food or water, especially in areas where standards of hygiene are low. If you are visiting such areas you should avoid certain foodstuffs, particularly dairy products salads, seafood and untreated water.

For further information on Vaccinations please visit Tropical Medical Bureau.

Travel Insurance

All Holiday arrangements have some form of cancellation fees once booked and most airline tickets are non refundable. We strongly recommend that all passengers have some form of insurance suitable to their requirements. Non Nationals living in Ireland for less than six months are not covered by our insurance. We highly recommend Accident and General Travel Insurance.

European Health Insurance Card

European Health Insurance Card If you are visiting another member-state of the European Union, you are entitled to receive emergency medical treatment on the same basis as a national of the country concerned. You must bring with you, an European Health Insurance Card, issued by your local Health Board. Remember however, the European Health Insurance Card, does not replace full Travel Insurance Cover.

For further information on vaccinations click on www.ehic.ie